Designed for manoeuvring engagements, these aircraft offer the greatest variety of tactics to use. Fighters are divided into the following groups according to nation, design school and the ways in which they can be employed in battle: aircraft for vertical combat (boom-n-zoomers), aircraft for horizontal combat (turnfighters) and multirole aircraft that are superior to turnfighters in dynamics and to boom-and-zoomers in manoeuvrability.
Messerschmitt Bf 109 F Friedrich
- Very high speed for its tier.
- Excellent energy retention.
- 1 х 20mm gun and 2 х 7.92mm machine guns.
Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero
- The best manoeuvrability among aircraft of its tier.
- Excellent responsiveness.
- 2 x 20mm autocannon and 2 x 7.7mm machine guns.
Supermarine Spitfire V
- Better manoeuvrability than most "boom-and-zoomers".
- Better energy retention than agile "turn & burn" fighters.
- 2 x 20mm cannons and 4 x 7.7mm machine guns.
These “hunters” offer the advantages of heavy armament and good airspeed. Heavy fighters feature poor manoeuvrability and dynamics but prove deadly in diving attacks. They often carry a rear gunner for defensive purposes. Some heavy fighters can also be successfully used as fighter-bombers.
Messerschmitt Me 410 Hornisse
- Good speed performance
- The longest boost availability among aircraft in its tier
- 2 x 30mm and 2 x 20mm autocannon, 2 x 7.92mm machine guns
Lockheed P-38J Lightning
- The best altitude performance among aircraft in its tier
- The highest dive speed among aircraft in its tier
- 1 x 37mm autocannon and 4 x 12.7mm machine guns
- Large bomb and rocket load
- Powerful rear gun.
- 4 x 20mm autocannon and 6 x 7.7mm machine guns
Strike aircraft ideal for destroying ground targets. These aircraft carry the widest range of bombs and rockets along with powerful machine guns and autocannons. The game currently features a branch of the Ilyushin heavily-armoured attack aircraft in the U.S.S.R. Tech Tree.
- High survivability and durable armour
- Powerful bomb load
- 10 x 7.62mm rapid-fire machine guns
Ilyushin IL-2 two-seat
- The best survivability among aircraft in its tier
- High bomb and rocket load
- 2 x 37mm autocannon and 2 x 7.62mm machine guns
- Excellent top speed at sea level
- Powerful rear gun
- 6 x 23mm autocannon
A7M – Zero Undivided
The latest entry of our History Spotlight series heads to the Far East. We take a look at ...
Chance-Vought F4U Corsair – Whistling Death
This week, we take a closer look at a mainstay of World War II for the Allies – the F4U ...
The IL-2 – The Flying Tank
The latest article in our occasional History Spotlight series takes a look at the IL-2 – ...
Curtiss P-36 Hawk – The Spoils of Competition
In this article, we take a closer look at the Curtiss P-36 Hawk, an early US fighter that ...